Teeth of the Constitution

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

The Second Amendment is arguably the most important: it is the "teeth" of our Constitution.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Name:
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
  • Why a Paraguayan flag?
  • Sunday, March 27, 2005

    Why the Paraguayan flag?

    Those of you who visit this site with some regularity may notice that I put a Paraguayan flag next to the US flag and wonder what that is for.

    Well, I lived and worked in Paraguay for about 15 years, first as a Peace Corps Forestry Volunteer, then in other forestry and training positions both with, and outside of Peace Corps. My wife is Paraguayan, and my daughter therefore is 50/50, but a US citizen and honorary Wisconsinite by birth (you know she's got Wisconsin blood in her - she loves ice fishing!)!

    Anyway, with nothing to do this morning after the Easter egg hunt (we went to church last night) I found a freeware Paraguayan flag and decided to put it up to kind of give the site a little more flavor, and a bit of recognition to the multi-cultural environment in our house here in Rhinelander.

    Also though, after having lived through random police searches, restrictions on activities before elections, restrictions on speech in general, always having to prove who I was with a government issued ID, and so on, I learned to truly appreciate the freedoms we have here in the USA as guaranteed in our Constitution.

    That’s why campaign finance reform, a national ID (a.k.a. natl. driver’s license) and gun control are such sore topics with me. These three issues strike at the core of our freedoms: the freedom to move around as we choose without having to prove ourselves worthy to the government, the freedom to speak our mind when and where we want, and the freedom to own firearms as a means of last resort against a tyrannical government.

    So, there’s a little more background on me I guess. Anyone interested in learning about Paraguay can contact me by e-mail. The link is in my profile.

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I really like the "waving" flags.

    JAM

    Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:27:00 PM  
    Blogger M.E. said...

    You know, this was a really great post. If I were still blogging, I'd link to it.

    Friday, May 12, 2006 9:32:00 PM  

    Post a Comment |

    << Home