Teeth of the Constitution

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

The Second Amendment is arguably the most important: it is the "teeth" of our Constitution.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Name:
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
  • Why a Paraguayan flag?
  • Wednesday, March 09, 2005

    Open Season on Feral Cats?

    I first saw this on Jiblog, and have heard about it every time I turn on the news or radio for the last two days. I figured a post would be in order given that I have re-thought my comment on Jiblog's post. But first, in an effort of full disclosure....I really like cats, and I'm a hunter.

    To start with, let's get a few things straight. First, feral cats are not a part of the ecosystem as one woman on the news claimed last night. They belong in the woods just as much as a milk cow does. (Neither does if you're confused on that point.) Cats belong in the home, or on a leash in your yard.

    Second, in the city of Rhinelander, there is an ordinance (#13.07, sub 5, sub B) that states cats must be on a leash if outside. If they aren't, then they have to be on the owner's property. I am sure other cities, townships and maybe counties have similar ordinances, but believe me; I don't have the time to check all that. Suffice it to say that cat owners should be responsible for their pets, ordinance or not.

    Third, domestic cats in the wild kill for the sake of killing, not just when they need to eat. According to J.S. Coleman, et. al. in this article, a reasonable estimate of the number of birds killed each year in Wisconsin by cats, is 39 million. This doesn't include other small mammals such as voles, field mice, etc.

    So, given the above, I would say feral cats should be considered a non-native invasive species when roaming free in the woods, or around the city for that matter (I have cats roaming the DNR protected wetland in my backyard, and I can guarantee they aren't checking to be sure the frogs have enough water).

    If we accept the above paragraph, then hunters should be in favor of eliminating feral cats (they prey on game birds), environmentalists should be also (environmentalists are really big now on getting rid of non-native invasive species), as well as bird watchers and nature lovers in general.

    That leaves us with the animal rights nuts. The best "solution" I've heard from them so far is to capture the wild cats, neuter them, and let them go again. Oh ya, there's a money-sucking non-solution if I have ever heard one.

    Therefore, either trap'em and euthanize them, or shoot them where they sit. Sounds cruel, but hey, life in the wild is a whole lot more cruel than that (see my post on "Life and Death in the Winter Woods". I'd be willing to bet the bird the hawk got wished it had just been shot instead.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment |

    << Home