Teeth of the Constitution

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

The Second Amendment is arguably the most important: it is the "teeth" of our Constitution.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Name:
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
  • Why a Paraguayan flag?
  • Monday, April 11, 2005

    Take Someone Shooting!

    Looking for a way to get more people to back the Second Amendment? Here's one: if you own a gun, take someone shooting; if you don’t, find someone who does and ask them if they could take you (offer to pay for the ammunition, it usually isn’t much!).

    I took my daughter and niece shooting tin cans with .22cal rifles when they were ten, and they both loved it. I just went out again with my daughter this past weekend (at her insistence: "Dad, when can we go shooting again?) and we had a lot of fun for only $5.00 and a bunch of tin cans. My sister had a blast shooting the rifles and .22 revolver at an indoor range with me and my brother. My brother-in-law had a good time with the .22cal rifles and the shotgun shooting trap with a hand thrower when my brother and I took him out. Good, clean fun for kids (and adults) of all ages!

    None of these people had ever shot a gun before, and they all had a really good time. I'm always looking for an opportunity to take them again, as is my brother. Next on my list is to take another of my nieces out with the 22’s - I'm sure she'll have just as much fun!

    Although none of the people I took out for the first time shooting could be classified as anti-gun, I do believe that many anti-gun people can be easily converted to pro-gun if they get the chance to actually hold a gun and shoot it. That’s when they realize that as long as you follow firearm safety rules, the gun isn’t going to kill anyone.

    Because I have had firearms around the house since I won my first shotgun back in high school, I don't think anyone in my family was confused about the fact that guns don't kill people, people kill people. There are those out there however who have never been around firearms and are literally scared to death of them. These are the people that I am guessing would be all for more anti-firearms legislation today, but could be swayed against it if they only lost their irrational fear of guns.

    Maybe I'm naive, but hey, even if it only works for 1 in a 100, that's one more on our side.

    "Boys who own legal firearms have much lower rates of delinquency and drug use and are even slightly less delinquent than nonowners of guns." -- U.S. Department of Justice, National Institute of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, NCJ-143454, "Urban Delinquency and Substance Abuse," August 1995"

    1 Comments:

    Blogger M.E. said...

    Hey, that's me you're talking about! Hi bro. Yes, I did really enjoy shooting. But you forgot to tell everyone how good I was at it.

    Tuesday, April 12, 2005 12:32:00 AM  

    Post a Comment |

    << Home