Teeth of the Constitution

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

The Second Amendment is arguably the most important: it is the "teeth" of our Constitution.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Name:
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
  • Why a Paraguayan flag?
  • Monday, February 21, 2005

    More on my Views

    Well Shaun, you have the dubious distinction of being the first person to post on my blog. Congratulations! (I think?).

    Let's start with my being Pro-Life. I guess I don't buy into the argument that it is a woman's choice to kill her unborn infant, under the misconception that it is "her body, her choice". Is it really her body? I don't think so, given that the unborn has its own head, arms, legs, you get the idea. Sure you may say, but that is only after "X" number of weeks (I don't know what the exact number is, but it really doesn't matter - read on), before that it is only a bunch of cells.

    Well, a bunch of cells, yes, but human cells nonetheless. The reason the mystery "X" number from above doesn't really matter is, because from conception on, it is a human being and fully deserving to live. It is virtually impossible to draw a line and say "from this point on it is a human being and has a right to live, and before that it isn't and doesn't", because it just is a human. It's not like you have a turtle before and a human after. You get the idea.

    As far as my believing the Second Amendment is the most important, think about this: if they (politicians/Government) take away our right to firearm ownership, what recourse do we have if they then try to take away our Freedom of Speech? The answer is none. It would be much harder for them to take the First knowing that if they push us too far we could create a real heck of a mess.

    As Rush Limbaugh once said (and this is paraphrased) "the Second Amendment is there in case the Government decides to ignore the First". That's it in a nutshell on the Second Amendment and what I believe. I'd be more than happy to discuss this further with anyone willing to take the time. (Kind of running out of time right now - I'm at the library with the Wife and Daughter and we're leaving soon.)

    Lastly, you were right that I am a conservative, but even I have trouble deciding what kind I am. I generally vote Republican, but don't always agree with what the Republican party does. You can watch my comments and posts and let me know when you get a better idea. It would be interesting to see what you come up with!

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment |

    << Home