Teeth of the Constitution

"A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

The Second Amendment is arguably the most important: it is the "teeth" of our Constitution.

As Thomas Jefferson said, "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Name:
Location: Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
  • Why a Paraguayan flag?
  • Saturday, February 26, 2005

    Wisconsin is So Great!

    Wisconsin is great! This morning I was having my coffee, looking out over our snow-covered/-2 degree F backyard starting to plan our garden! My wife, who is from Paraguay, I am sure thinks I'm nuts (the fact that I really like winter and never notice that the sun hasn't shone for the last 2 weeks doesn't help!). As far as she is concerned, summer never quite makes it up to Rhinelander!

    In any case, no matter what season you are in, there is always great stuff to do, and at the same time great stuff to look forward to in the next season (except spring - see below). Here's what I mean. In summer you can go camping, garden ,open water fish, barbecue, and all that good summer stuff. At about the middle of summer you can start thinking about walks through the colorful fall woods in search of elusive ruffed grouse, rabbits and squirrles!

    And just as fall sets in and hunting is in full swing, the air starts getting cooler, and then ice fishing settles on the brain. To be truthful however, late fall/early winter is a very difficult time once the lakes freeze over - serious decisions must be made. Should I go ice fishing today, or give Ruffed Grouse another shot (no pun intended)?

    Then comes winter; hunting is basically over except for snowshoe hares, and ice fishing is in full swing. That season also passes too fast. As I write this, there are only two weekends left before tip-up fishing for walleye and northern pike (my favorites) is over. And that is when you start thinking of the garden, paging through the Jung catalog, picking out plants to order for this summer (we are going to order some asparagus plants this year). Once summer hits, the cyle starts again, and another year flys by.

    [I skip spring because there really is nothing to look forward to, and nothing much to do either - no hunting, no fishing, and no gardening because the soil is still too wet. Give me another 2 weeks of winter and 1 of summer!]

    Anyway, Cheers! to Wisconsin - it's a great place to live!

    4 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now, all we need to do is build a wall along our southern border.

    JAM

    Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:38:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey! I know some very nice people - well, OK, one very nice person - who came up here from south of that Wisconsin border!

    Not all flatlanders are FIBS. And what's with that? They call us "Cheeseheads" and we retaliate with ... FIBS!? That's kind of going nuclear on 'em, isn't it?

    Signed,
    Guess Who

    Monday, February 28, 2005 10:52:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Holy smokes!!! I've been trying all day to find little know sources of "real" people online with thoughts and ideas about ice fishing. I stumbled on to your porst about this post and although it's not exactly what I was looking for, it certainly caught my attention. I'm personally building a resource for ice fishing and hope you might stop by and check it out when you have a chance...let me know your thoughts. I'll be sure to send people this way as well. Thanks Paul...Cheers!

    Friday, December 16, 2005 5:19:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was thinking Paul, I was checking out sources of info on ice fishing equipment and I stumbled across your post about this post that you have a great site here. I'm personally working hard at developing an online business around ice fishing equipment and I'd like to share this site with some of my own subscribers. Thanks for letting me stop by Paul...I'll be back.

    Saturday, January 14, 2006 10:19:00 AM  

    Post a Comment |

    << Home